Turkey, Leek and Ham Leftovers Pot Pie
- 50g butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 leeks, chopped
- 200ml double cream
- 250ml chicken stock, or leftover gravy
- 400g cooked turkey
- 300g cooked ham
- 2tbsp thyme leaves
- 1tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 250g readymade puff pastry
Terrifically tasty turkey leftovers ‘pie’ (we know there’s debate about whether a pastry lid only qualifies as a pie!) recipe for a scrummy boxing day tea. Makes the most of leftover turkey, ham and gravy.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6. Heat a large pan over a medium heat. Add a knob of butter and gently cook the onion until soft but not brown.
- Add the carrots and leek and continue cooking for five minutes until the carrots begin to soften. Cover with the cream and stock or gravy and simmer until the sauce starts to thicken.
- Add the turkey, ham, wholegrain mustard and herbs then season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper then remove the pan from the heat. Pour the filling into a ceramic pie dish.
- Roll out the pastry (if not ready rolled) to make a lid for the pie and strips to line the rim of the dish. Press the strips onto the rim, moistening them with a little beaten egg, then press down the lid firmly and brush with the beaten egg. Don’t forget to make a hole for the steam to escape. Cook in the oven for 25 minutes until the pastry is golden-brown.
Chefs tip – If you make your own pastry, make sure you rest it in the fridge for 30 minutes before cooking.