Strawberry Meringue Ice Cream
- 600g strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 500ml milk
- 500ml cream
- 200g caster sugar
- 12 egg yolks
- 40g mini meringue sprinkles
- 100ml strawberry dessert topping sauce
This recipe requires a domestic ice cream machine. Make sure to place the bowl from the machine in the freezer, set to its coldest setting, at least a day before for best results. You may need to churn this recipe in 2 batches depending on the size of the bowl (Check your ice cream machine’s instructions to be sure.)
- Heat the cream and milk in a pan until simmering.
- Whisk together the yolks and sugar and add to the cream mixture, cook over a low heat, stirring constantly until the custard mixture coats the back of the spoon, do not allow to boil.
- Blend the hot custard with 350g of strawberries until smooth. Allow the mixture to chill completely before churning.
- When ready, fold in the remaining strawberries and meringue and finally stir in the strawberry sauce without fully mixing to create a ripple effect.
- Place in a plastic container in the freezer and freeze for another 2-3 hours before serving.