Giant Funfetti Animal Hand Print Cookies
- For the Cookie
- 145g softened, unsalted butter
- 75g soft brown sugar
- 75g white granulated sugar
- 2tsp vanilla essence
- 1 egg
- 220g plain white flour
- 1/2tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 60g coloured sprinkles (we used Dr Oetker Bright & Bold)
- To Decorate
- 400g icing sugar
- 4tbsp water
- Orange food colouring
- Green food colouring
- Edible eyes
- Mini marshmallows
Our Giant Funfetti Animal Hand Print Cookies are a wonderfully creative way to spend some time with the little ones! If you’d like to create these cookies as a gift for someone, simply weigh out the dry cookie ingredients and layer them up in a clean, sterilised mason jar, decorate with ribbons and add a tag with the additional ingredients required listed, and the baking instructions. You could even make a little parcel of decorating ingredients to go alongside!
- Pre heat the oven to 190ºC / 374ºf / gas mark 5. Line a baking tray with some non-stick greaseproof baking paper and set to one side.
- Weigh all the dry cookie ingredients into a large bowl, or tip them into it from your jar. Make a well in the centre, add the egg, softened butter and vanilla and then mix with a wooden spoon until combined and a dough is formed.
- On a floured surface take a big chunk of the dough, roll into a ball then flatten with a rolling pin to create a 1cm thick rough circle. The diameter should be about 10-12cm. Repeat until dough is used up. Add a few more sprinkles across the top and press in lightly.
- Place the cookies onto the greaseproof lined baking tray, baking two at a time or if you have an additional baking tray you can double up. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and rest on the baking tray for a few minutes, before transferring to a cooling rack.
- To make the coloured icing for your animal handprints, sift 200g of icing sugar into a medium bowl and stir in 2tbsp of water to create a smooth mixture. Add green food colouring one drop at a time until you have your desired colour. Repeat with the other 200g of icing sugar, but use the orange food colouring this time.
- Taking the bowl of coloured icing, dip the palm of your hand into it and then place it on to a cookie and hold still for two seconds before lifting it gently, creating a fun handprint. Use the edible eyes and marshmallows to create your own handprint animal – we made a crocodile and a goldfish!
Chefs Tip: What other animals can you make using your handprint?