Canadian Nanaimo Bars
- For the biscuit layer
- 125g butter
- 40g caster sugar
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 100g desiccated coconut
- 200g crumbled Hobnob biscuits
- For the custard layer
- 100g butter, at room temperature
- 100ml double cream
- 3 tbsp custard powder
- 250g icing sugar
- For the chocolate layer
- 150g dark chocolate
- 50g butter
- For the biscuit layer, melt the butter in a glass bowl, over a pan of simmering water. Do not let the simmering water touch the bottom of the bowl.
- Add the caster sugar and cocoa powder and whisk until smooth.
- Add the beaten egg and whisk for 2-3 minutes until the mixture has thickened, (this will cook the egg).
- Remove from heat and add the desiccated coconut and crumbled Hobnobs and mix well.
- Press evenly into a lined, small square baking tin and chill in the fridge whilst you’re making the custard layer.
- For the custard layer, whisk the soft butter, double cream and custard powder until light and fluffy, then slowly add all the icing sugar until fully mixed.
- Spread the custard mix over the biscuit layer and chill in the fridge for 1 hour.
- For the chocolate layer, melt the chocolate and butter together in a bowl over simmering water. Give it a little whisk until it is smooth and fully melted.
- Pour the melted chocolate over the custard layer and chill for 1 hour.
- Once set, remove from the tin and cut into squares.
CHEF’S TIP You can add some chopped nuts in the biscuit layer. Why not try chopped hazelnuts.