Butternut Squash, Aubergine & Chickpea Loaf – Vegan
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, deseeded & large dice
- 2 aubergines, halves
- Drizzle olive oil
- 250g packcooked pilau rice
- 4 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 50g dried apricots, roughly chopped
- 50g pistachio nuts
- 50g blanched almonds
- 50g dried cranberries
- 400g tin chickpeas including juice
- 10g coriander
- 1 pack Booths pomegranate pearls, reserving some to garnish
- 1tsp ground coriander
- 1tsp ground cumin
- Salt & pepper
- 25g pomegranate seeds
- 10g mint leaves
- 10g coriander leaves
- 25g pistachio nuts
This gorgeous butternut squash, aubergine and chickpea loaf centrepiece is perfect as an alternative to meat for a roast dinner, suitable for vegans and vegetarians alike.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (fan)/400°F/gas mark 6.
- Line a 2lb loaf tin with baking paper.
- Place the diced squash and aubergine halves onto a baking tray. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake in a pre-heated oven for 25 minutes or until soft. Lightly mash the squash with a fork and set to one side to cool slightly.
- Scoop the flesh from the roasted aubergine and place into a mixing bowl. Add the squash and the remaining ingredients to the mixing bowl, stir well to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pack the mix into the lined loaf tin and bake in a pre-heated oven for 1 hour.
- Remove and allow to set for 5 minutes before removing from the tin.
- Place on a serving platter and garnish with extra pomegranate seeds, mint, coriander and pistachio nuts.
This dish is just as tasty eaten cold. Place in the fridge and use 2 tins to press the nut roast, this will help when slicing the roast.