Hot Cross Bun Trifle
- 135g pack orange jelly
- 6 hot cross buns, halved
- 6 oranges
- 500g store bought custard
- 250ml whipping cream
- 100g icing sugar
- 250g mascarpone
- TO DECORATE
- 25g flaked almonds, toasted
This gorgeous trifle recipe is a great way to use up any left over hot cross buns, or just a different way to enjoy them this Easter.
- Make up the orange jelly as per pack instructions, set to one side.
- Cut the hot cross buns in half and arrange in the bottom of a glass trifle dish (approximately 2.5 litres).
- Remove the zest from 2 oranges and reserve for later. Peel the oranges and slice into rounds approximately 1/2cm thick. Arrange the slices on top of the hot cross bun base and around the sides of the dish.
- Pour over the orange jelly and place in the fridge to set for one hour.
- Once the jelly has set spoon over the custard and place back into the fridge whilst you make the cream topping.
- Place the cream, icing sugar, mascarpone and half of the reserved orange zest into a bowl and whip to soft peaks. Spoon into a piping bag fitted with a round nozzle.
- Remove the trifle from the fridge and pipe rosettes of the cream on top to decorate.
- Decorate with the remaining orange zest and toasted flaked almonds and enjoy!
Why not use Booths St Clements hot cross buns in this recipe for extra orange zesty flavour? A shot of Cointreau in the jelly would be a great addition to create a boozy version!