- 115g unsalted butter
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 medium leeks, finely sliced
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 1.2ltr fresh chicken stock (or dried vegetable stock)
- 225g spinach leaves, trimming off coarse stalks
- ¼ teaspoon of freshly grated nutmeg
- Salt and black pepper
- 2 tablespoons double cream
Melt the butter in a large pan and cook the onion, leeks and carrots for about 5 minutes until slightly softened but not coloured. After that, add the stock, bring to the boil then simmer uncovered for 15 to 20 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
Ladle the soup into a blender with the raw
spinach and blend until smooth then season well with salt, grated nutmeg and
Finish by stirring in cream and serve.
NOTE: If you can’t get spinach, or would like to try something different, use sorrel.