- 2 aubergines, sliced lengthways 1/2cm thick
- Drizzle olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 500g lamb mince
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 100g tomato puree
- 400g tin chopped tomato
- 50ml lamb stock
- 10g oregano, chopped
- 1tsp cinnamon
- 600g tzatziki
- 100g cheese, grated
- 50g Parmesan, grated
- Salt and Pepper
- Serving suggestion
- Greek salad
We’ve swapped out the bechamel sauce for tzatziki for a twist on a classic moussaka.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (fan)/200°C/400°F/gas mark 6.
- Place the sliced aubergine onto a baking tray, drizzle both sides with olive oil, season and roast in a pre-heated oven for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a drizzle of olive oil in a sauce pan over a medium heat. Add the diced onion and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the lamb mince and garlic. Cook for 8 minutes.
- Add the tomato puree, tinned tomatoes, lamb stock, oregano and cinnamon. Cook for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat, season to taste and set to one side.
- Line a 25x25cm oven proof dish with 1/3 of the mince. Top with 1/3 of the sliced aubergine and 200g of tzatziki. Repeat twice and top with the grated cheeses.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven for 40 minutes or until golden brown and bubbling.
- Serve with a fresh Greek salad.
Feeding a crowd? Double this recipe. This is a great Monday meal to use up any leftover roast lamb from the Sunday roast. Store bought tzatziki makes this an easy crowd pleaser with a twist. If you want to make your own tzatziki mix 500g of yoghurt with 100g grated cucumber. Season to taste with lemon juice, salt and pepper.
Wine Match – Beronia Rioja Crianza
Did you know that Rioja Crianzas are designed to be high-quality everyday wines? Beronia has a balanced and sweet palate, with red fruits, liquorice, chocolate and coffee which pairs perfectly with our Moussaka recipe. Find it in the Spanish reds section.