Savoury Buckwheat Pancakes
- 160g buckwheat flour
- 95g spelt flour
- 1/2tsp salt
- Pinch cracked black pepper
- 2tsp baking powder
- 1/2tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 190ml whole milk
- 3 eggs
- For the dressing
- 2tbsp roughly chopped chives
- 4tsp white wine vinegar
- 4tbsp olive oil
- Pinch sea salt & cracked black pepper
- To Serve
- 8 Emmental cheese slices (or your favourite cheese!)
- 4 slices of good quality ham
- 4 eggs to poach
These savoury, thick fluffy pancakes are a delicious dish, perfect for breakfast or brunch! The pancakes similar to an American style pancake rather than a traditional English version.
- To make the batter, mix the dry pancake ingredients together in a bowl. In a separate bowl mix the milk and eggs together. Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the milk and eggs slowly, while whisking until smooth. Transfer to a jug for easy pouring.
- Make the chive dressing by adding all ingredients to a blender and pulse a few times.
- Pre-heat the oven to low to keep the pancakes warm.
- Heat a non stick frying pan over a medium to high heat. Grease the pan with a small amount of unsalted butter. Once the pan is hot, add a large spoonful of batter and cook for a couple of minutes. Once air bubbles appear on the surface of the pancake, this means they are ready to turn.
- Repeat until you have used up all the batter. Place the cooked pancakes in the oven to keep warm. While cooking the pancakes, poach the eggs.
- To serve, place 3-4 pancakes on a plate alternating with slices of gouda cheese, top with a slice of ham and a poached egg. Season and finish with a drizzle of chive dressing.