Spiced Beef & Coconut Curry
- 2tbsp vegetable oil
- 750g braising steak, cubed
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 large red chilli, finely chopped
- 30g fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 2tsp ground cumin
- 2tsp ground coriander
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 400g can coconut milk
- 300ml beef stock
- 500g Chantenay carrots
- To Serve
- 20g fresh coriander roughly chopped
- 300g wholegrain rice
1 Heat half the oil in a casserole dish and brown the beef in batches until golden all over. Remove from the pan and set aside.
2 Add the remaining oil to the pan, tip in the onion and cook for about 5 minutes until softened before stirring in the garlic, chilli and ginger. Cook for a further 2 minutes. Tip in the spices then add the tomatoes, coconut milk and stock and bring to a gentle simmer.
3 Return the meat to the dish along with the carrots, cover and simmer over a very gentle heat for 2 hours until the meat is really tender and the sauce is reduced and thickened. Stir in the coriander and serve with wholegrain rice.