Two Picnic Sandwich Fillings
- No Chicken Coronation Filling
- 1x 396g pack of firm tofu
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 50g mango chutney
- 100g crème fraîche
- 25g sultanas
- 1/2 lime, juice only
- 1 tbsp mild curry powder
- 1 tbsp coriander, chopped
- To Serve
- 4 ciabatta rolls (or rolls of your choice)
- 10g flaked almonds, toasted
- Corinader leaves
- 1 bag mixed salad
- Crayfish with Peppercorn & Tarragon Mayo Filling
- 2 tsp pink peppercorns
- 75g mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp tarragon, chopped
- 200g crayfish tails
- Salt and pepper
- To serve
- 4 ciabatta rolls (or rolls of your choice
- 2 avocados, sliced
- Extra pink peppercorns to garnish
- 1 bag mixed salad
No-Chicken Coronation Filling
- Drain any liquid from the tofu block and dry using kitchen roll. Slice the block in half and cut strips approximately 5cm long and 1cm thick.
- Heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a non-stick frying pan and brown the tofu strips on all sides in batches. Remove and set to one side to cool.
- To make the Coronation sauce, place the remaining ingredients into a bowl and mix to combine. Season to taste. Add the browned tofu strips and mix lightly to coat.
- To serve, slice each roll in half. Add a dollop of Coronation tofu and garnish with toasted flaked almonds, coriander leaves and a handful of mixed salad.
This Coronation sauce is a great base recipe. Add to torn cooked chicken for a classic sandwich filling. This sauce pairs well with sliced hard boiled egg for a twist on an egg mayo sandwich. In the winter months it makes a great topping for jacket potatoes.
Crayfish with Peppercorn & Tarragon Mayo Filling
- Crush the pink peppercorns using a pestle and mortar. Place the crushed
pink peppercorns, mayonnaise and tarragon into a bowl. Mix well.
- Add the crayfish tails and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To serve, slice each ciabatta roll in half and toast on a griddle for 1 minute.
- Place a handful of mixed salad on each roll followed by a dollop of the crayfish mix and top with the sliced avocado.
- Garnish with extra crushed pink peppercorns.
The pink peppercorn and tarragon mayo is the perfect seafood accompaniment. Add it to a seafood platter or as a dipping sauce for king prawns. Swap the crayfish in this recipe for crab or prawns for a change.