- FOR THE CUPCAKES
- 175g margarine
- 175g caster sugar
- 175g self-raising flour
- 3 eggs
- 4tbsp coloured sprinkles of choice
- FOR THE BUTTERCREAM
- 200g butter, softened
- 400g icing sugar
- 1/2tsp vanilla extract
- 1tbsp milk
- Pink food colouring
- TO DECORATE
- 12 ice cream cones
- 2 liquorice sticks
A classic cupcake given a modern decorative twist – who doesn’t love a unicorn at the moment?
To make the cupcakes
- Pre-heat the oven to 160°C (fan)/350°F/gas mark 4.
- Line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper muffin cases.
- Place the margarine, sugar, flour and eggs into a mixing bowl. Beat to combine using an electric mixer.
- Fold the sprinkles (optional) into the mix and divide the mix evenly between the muffin cases.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 25-30 minutes.
- To check the cupcakes are cooked, insert a skewer into the centre, it should come out clean when cooked.
- Remove and allow to cool for 10 minutes before placing on a cooling rack to cool completely.
To make the buttercream
- Place the softened butter into a large mixing bowl, sift the icing sugar into the bowl and beat to form a smooth icing. Add the vanilla extract, milk and a couple of drops of pink food colouring, mix well.
- Place the buttercream into a piping bag fitted with a star nozzle. Pipe a rosette of buttercream on top of each cupcake.
- Asking an adult to help, use a serrated knife to remove the base from each ice cream cone to make your unicorn horn.
- Cut the liquorice using scissors to make eyes and eyelashes for your unicorn.
- Decorate each cupcake with the ice cream cone horn and liquorice eyes.
- Place on a cake stand to serve and enjoy.
Reserve the trimmed ice cream cone bases. Place in a freezer bag and crush using a rolling pin, mix with extra sprinkles and sprinkle over scoops of ice cream for a crunchy topping.