- 175g butter, softened
- 75g icing sugar
- 175g plain flour
- 50g cornflour
- Zest from 1/2 an orange
- A little flour for dusting
- For the buttercream
- 75g butter, softened
- 125g icing sugar
- Zest of 1/2 an orange
- 1 pot of sprinkles of your choice, we used a rainbow tripod with 3 different types in it (find it in the baking aisle)
An easy yet colourful sandwich biscuit recipe, make them as decorative as you choose.
- Pre-heat the oven to 150°C (fan)/325°F/gas mark 3.
- Place the butter and icing sugar into a bowl and beat until pale.
- Add the plain flour, cornflour and orange zest. Rub in using your fingertips until the mix resembles breadcrumbs. Work to bring the mix together as a dough.
- Line 2 baking trays with baking paper. On a lightly floured work surface roll the dough into a sausage shape. Divide the dough equally into 24 pieces. Roll each piece into a ball. Evenly space the balls on the baking trays and flatten each ball using a fork.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until just golden around the edges.
- Allow to cool before placing onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Place the butter, icing sugar and orange zest into a bowl. Beat until smooth.
- Spoon one teaspoon of buttercream onto the flat side of 12 biscuits. Top with the remaining 12 biscuits to make a sandwich, press together lightly to squeeze the buttercream to the edges.
- Dip the buttercream edges of each yoyo into your sprinkle pot to decorate.