Beach Fun Cupcakes
- For the cupcakes
- 175g margarine
- 175g caster sugar
- 175g self raising flour
- 3 eggs
- 2tsp toffee essence
- For the buttercream
- 100g butter, softened
- 200g icing sugar
- 1/2tsp toffee essence
- Blue food colouring
- To decorate
- 25g light muscovado sugar
- 12 umbrellas (optional)
Delightfully whimsical beach cupcakes, super easy to make with the kids (supervised of course.) If children are quite young we’d recommend leaving out the cocktail umbrellas.
To make the cupcakes
- Pre-heat the oven to 160°C(fan)/350°F/gas mark 4.
- Line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper muffin cases.
- Place the margarine, sugar, flour, eggs and toffee essence into a mixing bowl. Beat to combine using an electric mixer.
- Divide the mix evenly between the muffin cases.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 25-30 minutes.
- To check the cupcakes are cooked, insert a skewer into the centre, it should come out clean when cooked.
- Remove and allow to cool for 10 minutes before placing on a cooling rack to cool completely.
To make the buttercream
- Place the softened butter into a large mixing bowl, sift the icing sugar into the bowl. Add the toffee essence and beat to form a smooth icing.
- Divide the buttercream into 2 bowls and colour one bowl using blue food colouring.
- Spread half of each cupcake with the white buttercream. Dip the top of each cupcake into the Muscovado sugar to create your sandy beach.
- Spread the second half with the blue buttercream and peak to form waves.
- Decorate each cupcake with an umbrella to create your beach scene (optional).
Why not make this ice cream flavoured? Use vanilla essence instead of toffee, and make the sandy beach using crushed ice cream cones instead of sugar. If you’re feeling adventurous you could add a hidden raspberry jam middle!