Booths Sourdough Rarebit
- 4 slices Bells 1946 sourdough bread
- 225g grated cheese of choice
- 1tsp mustard powder
- 75ml ale
- 2tbsp flour
- 1tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 50g cream cheese
- 4tbsp chutney
- Salt and pepper
What’s more satisfying on a chillier evening than cheese on toast? Our rarebit mix can be truly made your own by varying the cheese you choose to include, and using a proper sourdough loaf like our Bells 1946 just adds that touch of luxury and extra flavour.
- Place the sliced sourdough onto a baking tray. Toast one side of the bread under the grill.
- Place the grated cheese, mustard powder, ale, flour and Worcestershire sauce into a small bowl, mix well and season.
- Turn the sourdough slices over, toasted side down on the baking tray. Spread the untoasted side with a layer of cream cheese followed by a layer of chutney.
- Top with the grated cheese mix.
- Return the slices to the grill and grill for 3-5 minutes until golden brown and bubbling.
This recipe works perfectly with a bowl of warming soup, why not serve a slice with a hearty French onion soup? Perfect for chilly autumnal lunches.
Wine Match – McGuigan Founders Series Cabernet Sauvignon
Matured in oak with a dark berry character and earthy notes, McGuigan Founders Series Cabernet Sauvignon works well with this recipe. Find it in the Australian reds section.