Breakfast Doughnut Muffins
- For the muffins
- 225g plain flour
- 100g caster sugar
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1tsp cinnamon
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 125ml milk
- 80g butter, melted
- 8tsp raspberry jam
- For the topping
- 75g caster sugar
- 2tsp cinnamon
- 50g butter, melted
These gorgeous ‘doughnut’ muffins are a joy as an indulgent breakfast for the kids! Or why not make them for the picnic basket?
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (fan)/400°F/gas mark 6 and line a muffin tin with 8 muffin cases.
- To make the muffins, sift the dry ingredients into a mixing bowl.
- Place the vanilla extract, egg, milk and melted butter into a measuring jug a whisk to combine.
- Make a well in the dry mix, slowly pour the wet mix into the dry whisking to combine.
- Spoon a dessertspoon of muffin mix into each case, top with a teaspoon of raspberry jam and finish with a spoonful of muffin mix to cover.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. To check the muffins are cooked, insert a skewer into the centre, it should come out clean when cooked.
- Place the muffins on a cooling rack for 10 minutes.
- To make the topping, mix the sugar and cinnamon in a bowl.
- Remove the paper cases from each muffin and discard.
- Brush each muffin with melted butter and toss in the cinnamon sugar mixture to coat.
For a tasty twist on this recipe swap the raspberry jam for lemon curd and swap the cinnamon in the topping for ground cardamom.