Creamy Mushroom and Garlic Pizza with Fresh Herbs
- 1 ball Northern Dough Co Original Pizza Dough, defrosted (find it in the frozen aisle)
- Semonline or plain flour for dusting
- Large knob of butter
- 250g pack of chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 2 crushed garlic cloves (or a genrous squeeze of lazy garlic)
- 2tbsp mascarpone
- 2 handfuls Booths grated mozzarella
- Sprinkle fresh herbs
The Northern Dough Co. have created a series of seasonal guest recipes for us, all focussed on bringing the family together in the kitchen and adding a pizza positivity to your winter. The Lancashire based family company make 100% natural pizza dough, which you’ll find in the freezers in store.
THE INDULGENT ONE
“Just a few ingredients, but full of flavour (and a new cooking technique that you might not have tried before!). The garlic and mushrooms in this recipe are packed full of antioxidants to help boost the immune system, and the mascarpone and butter add a touch of indulgence to combat the cold Winter months. We’ve cooked this pizza in a pan, for a more authentic stonebaked style base, give it a try!”
- Firstly, sauté your mushrooms on a medium heat. First by melting the butter in the pan, then adding the garlic (ensure the heat isn’t too high so you don’t burn the garlic as it will taste bitter), then add the mushrooms and leave still for a few minutes, until they catch some colour. Then move the mushrooms around so all the sides catch slightly and colour to create lots of flavour.
- Add the mascarpone and stir until it forms a sauce.
- Roll or stretch your dough to approx. 10-12 inches in diameter (this will give you a classic Neapolitan style thin and crispy pizza).
If you want to try the frying pan pizza method, follow these instructions (or see below for the oven instructions, if you prefer):
For this method you will need a flat bottom frying pan suitable for placing under the grill, ensure the handle isn’t made of plastic or a material that will burn or melt. Be very careful when handling the hot pan.
- Pre-heat your grill to its hottest setting, and put your dry, flat bottomed frying pan (with no oil or butter in it) onto the hob, and heat until scorchingly hot.
- Carefully drop your rolled out pizza dough onto the pan, and then spoon the mushroom mixture on top. Sprinkle with the mozzarella, and allow it to cook for approx. 1-2 mins on the hob, until you see bubbles start to appear around the edge of the dough.
- Lift carefully to check it has started to brown, then carefully move under the grill, for a further 2-3 mins, until the dough has turned golden brown around the edges, and the toppings are bubbling, watching it all the time to ensure it doesn’t burn.
- Remove from the grill and carefully slide onto a cutting board and leave to cool for 3-5 mins, then sprinkle over the fresh herbs.
For the classic oven method:
- Move your pizza base to the lightly floured baking tray, spread the mushroom mixture across the surface.
- Scatter the grated mozzarella over the top and move to the hot oven for approx. 8-10 mins until the crust has turned golden brown and the toppings are bubbling.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool for 3-5 mins.As well as preventing burnt mouths, this also helps the pizza topping to ‘set’ and means your toppings won’t slide when you slice into it!
- Slice, share and enjoy with a fresh green salad.