Easy Breadsticks with Black Garlic Dip
- For the Breadsticks
- 250g strong white bread flour
- 1/2tsp salt
- 4g dried fast action yeast
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 2tbsp semolina
- 1tbsp milk
- 1tsp poppy seeds
- 1tsp sesame seeds
- 1tsp nigella seeds
- 1tsp sea salt
- 1tsp caraway seeds
- For the Black Garlic Dip
- 1 bulb black garlic
- 150g soft cheese (like Philadelphia)
- 100g creme fraiche
- 1tbsp chives, chopped
- 2tbsp lemon juice
If you’ve not tried it, black garlic makes an excellent choice for dips – no cooking required as the smoking process gives it a sweeter flavour. Homemade breadsticks are really easy to make and just add that little extra to your party table.
For The Breadsticks
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C (fan)/425°F/gas mark 7.
- Place the flour and salt into a bowl and mix to combine.
- Pour 150ml of tepid water into a small bowl and add the yeast. Stir until the yeast has dissolved.
- Make a well in the dry mix and pour in the yeast mix and olive oil. Stir using a fork to form a dough before bringing together with your hands.
- Tip the dough onto a work surface and knead for 5 minutes.
- Place the dough into a clean bowl and cover with cling film. Allow to prove for 25 minutes at room temperature.
- After 25 minutes, knead the dough for 1 minute. Roll the dough into a sausage shape approximately 30 cm long and cut into 12 pieces. Roll each piece into a bread stick approximately 20cm long.
- Scatter a baking tray with semolina and place the breadsticks onto the tray allowing enough room for the breadsticks to expand. You may need to use 2 baking trays.
- Brush each breadstick with a little milk and scatter over seeds and salt of your choice.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes in the pre-heated oven until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven, leave to stand for 5 minutes before transferring onto a cooling rack.
For the Garlic Dip
- To make the dip, remove the outer skins from the black garlic cloves. Place all of the ingredients into a food processor. Blitz to combine scraping down the bowl half way through.
- Check for seasoning and spoon into a serving bowl. Garnish with chopped hazelnuts and chopped chives and serve with the breadsticks.
If you are short of time, make these breadsticks with a bread mix found on the baking aisle. These can be baked and frozen ready to warm in the oven, perfect for a pre-dinner snack.