Emma Langford’s Orange Jaffa Chocolate Drizzle Cake
- For the Sponge
- 225g golden caster sugar
- 225g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 4 large eggs
- 2 oranges, zest & juice
- 225g self raising flour
- 1.5tsp baking powder
- 25g cornflour
- Orange Sugar Syrup
- 50g granulated sugar
- 55ml boiling water
- 1 orange, juice and zest
- For the Buttercream
- 175g dark chocolate (70% or more)
- 225g unsalted butter at room temperature
- 250g icing sugar, sifted
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 1 orange, zest and juice
- To Decorate
- Orange zest
- Edible sparkles or glitter
This is the zestiest, most decadent chocolate orange cake from our Poulton store colleague Emma Langford, it’s guaranteed to raise a smile over the party table!
For the Sponge
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°c / 350°f / gas mark 4. Grease and line a deep, loose bottomed 20cm / 8″ cake tin.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time, adding a little flour with each if needed (taken from the amount for the recipe).
- Stir in the zest and orange juice.
- Sieve together the flour, cornflour and baking powder and fold into the mixture with a metal spoon.
- Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 25 minutes or so until golden and the cake springs back when gently pressed. If you’re unsure, insert a skewer into the cake and if it comes out clean it’s done.
- Allow to cool in the tin for just a few minutes, then carefully remove, peel off any baking paper and pop onto a wire rack to finish cooling.
- While the cake is still warm, pour over the prepared orange syrup and allow to cool completely before decorating.
For the Orange Syrup – prepare while the cake is baking
- Put all of the ingredients into a saucepan over a medium heat, stir to combine.
- Bring to the boil and cook until the sugar dissolves, stirring occasionally, then remove from the heat.
For the Chocolate Orange Buttercream
- Melt the chocolate and set aside to cool a little.
- Beat the butter until light and fluffy, then beat in the icing sugar (start off with a spoon so you don’t end up in a cloud of sugar!).
- Beat in the vanilla extract, orange juice and zest and finally the cooled melted chocolate.
- Slice the cold cake in half horizontally.
- Use half of the buttercream to sandwich the cake together.
- Pipe the rest on top and get zesty – decorate with orange zest, sparkles or anything else that you wish!