Healthier Banana Bread
- 65g coconut oil
- 170g honey or maple syrup
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 large ripe mashed bananas
- 50ml milk
- 1tsp baking powder
- Pinch salt
- 1/2tsp ground cinnamon
- 225g whole wheat flour
- 100g chopped pecan nuts
A healthier banana bread recipe that’s really easy to make and even easier to adapt to your favourite flavours.
- Preheat the oven to 165°c / 325°f / gas mark 3, and grease a loaf tin.
- In a large bowl, beat the oil and honey together with a whisk. Add the eggs and beat well, then whisk in the vanilla extract, mashed bananas and milk.
- Add the baking powder, salt and cinnamon, and whisk to blend. Lastly, switch to a big spoon and stir in the flour, just until combined. Some lumps are ok. Add the chopped pecan nuts at this stage, saving some for the top of the loaf.
- Pour the batter into your greased loaf tin and sprinkle lightly with cinnamon and the reserved pecan nuts.
- Bake for 55 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Let the bread cool in the loaf tin for 10 minutes, then transfer it to a wire rack to cool for 20 minutes before slicing.
Try adding some of yor favourites ingredients to the mix such as chocolate chips, raisins, almonds or sultanas in place of the pecans. You can also up the spice level if you’d like.