- For the dough
- 350g plain flour
- 7g dried yeast
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 250ml warm water
- 100ml sunflower oil for frying
- To garnish
- 1/2 pack Booths smoked streaky bacon, fried
- 50g grated Cheddar
- A few garlic cloves, sliced and fried in butter
- 1 small tub of sour cream
- Combine the flour and yeast in a mixing bowl.
- Mix the salt and warm water together in a jug and add to the flour
and yeast mix.
- Mix to form a dough until it starts to leave the sides of the bowl.
- Cover with a damp cloth and leave to double in size (about 1 hour).
- Tip the rested dough onto a floured surface and gently roll out to 5mm thick.
- Cut out 8 x 10cm discs and leave to rest for 30 minutes.
- Heat some sunflower oil in a deep sided frying pan and fry both sides of the discs until golden.
- Serve hot with crispy bacon sliced into small pieces, grated Cheddar, a few slices of fried garlic and a dollop of sour cream.
CHEF’S TIP Turn this into a dessert by topping the breads with icing sugar, whipped cream and a dollop of Nutella instead of the savoury garnishes.