Malted Milk Marbled Biscuits
- For the biscuits
- 60g butter, softened
- 50g caster sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 25g Ovaltine
- 190g self raising flour
- 3 tbsp milk
- Flour for dusting
- For the icing
- 300g icing sugar
- 4 different food colourings
- To make the biscuits, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, add the egg yolk and mix well.
- Add the Ovaltine and flour, mix to combine.
- Add the milk and bring the dough together to form a ball.
- Wrap the dough in clingfilm and chill for 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven to 160°C (fan) / 180°C / 350°F / gas mark 4.
- Lightly flour a work surface and roll the dough to the thickness of a pound coin. Use an egg shaped or round cutter to cut your biscuits, re-rolling the dough as necessary.
- Place the biscuits onto baking trays lined with baking paper and bake in the pre-heated oven for 12-15 minutes until lightly golden in colour.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the tray before placing onto cooling racks to cool completely.
- To make the icing, place the icing sugar into a bowl. Add 4 tablespoons of boiling water and mix until smooth. Keep 1 bowl of plain icing and then spoon ½ tablespoon of icing into 4 other bowls and add a couple of drops of food colouring to colour each bowl of icing.
- To decorate, spoon a teaspoon of plain icing onto each biscuit, spread over the biscuit then dip a cocktail stick into a coloured icing and swirl to create a marbled pattern.