Mulled Spiced Beef Ragu
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 1.5kg beef brisket, cut into 4 pieces
- 2 red onions, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 135g tomato puree
- 1tbsp plain flour
- 750ml mulled wine
- 500ml beef stock
- 2tbsp redcurrant jelly
- 5 star anise
- 5 cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- Salt & pepper
Our mulled spiced beef ragu is the perfect festive dish to feed a crowd.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (fan)/400°F/gas mark 6.
- Heat one tablespoon of oil in a large oven proof casserole dish over a medium heat. Brown the beef for 5 minutes each side in the casserole. Remove and set to one side. You may need to do this in batches.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of oil to the casserole. Add the sliced onions and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomato puree and flour, cook for a further minute.
- Add the mulled wine and bring to the boil.
- Add the beef stock, red currant jelly and spices. Reduce to a simmer, place a lid on the casserole dish and cook in a pre-heated oven for 3 hours.
- Once cooked, remove the whole spices and season with salt and pepper. Using two forks shred the beef into the sauce.
- Serve with pappardelle pasta and garnish with beetroot leaves.