Sausage & Veg Picnic Rolls
- 454g sausage meat
- 1 courgette, grated
- 1 carrot, grated
- 4 mushrooms, grated
- 1 320g ready-rolled puff pastry pack
- Flour to dust
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1tbsp poppy seeds
For a meal on the go or an easy tea for the kids, these sausage rolls are packed with veggies and are scrumptious.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C (fan)/425°F/gas mark 7.
- Place the sausage meat, courgette, carrot, and mushroom into a bowl. Mix well to combine.
- Place the puff pastry sheet on a lightly floured work surface.
- Spread the mix down the middle of the pastry sheet. Brush the bottom edge of the pastry with beaten egg and fold the pastry over the sausage meat filling. Press the edges of the pastry together to seal. Trim the excess pastry from the ends and along the sealed edge. Press down gently with a fork to seal the edge. Brush with beaten egg and scatter over the poppy the seeds. Cut the roll into 4 and place on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven for 25-30 minutes until golden brown and cooked through.
These freeze really well uncooked. Place on a baking tray lined with baking paper, freeze on the tray before placing in a freezer bag. To cook from frozen increase the cooking time and ensure they are piping hot before serving. Keep this roll whole and serve with baked beans for an easy kids tea.