Slow Cooker Beef Rendang
- For the Spice Mix
- 4 shallots or 1 red onion
- 50g lemongrass paste
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 25g fresh ginger
- 2 tsp chilli flakes
- 100ml water
- For the Rendang
- 500g diced chuck beef
- 100ml coconut oil
- 1 star anise
- 4 cardamom pods
- 1 stick of cinnamon approx, 2cm in length
- 1 tin of coconut milk (440ml)
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 25g tamarind paste
- 10 small shallots halved or three red onions cut into chunks
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 small handful coriander, chopped
- 2 tbsp of desicated cocnut, toasted
- 4 chillies, sliced
- Add all the spice mix ingredients into a blender to form a paste.
- Fry the beef on a high heat in the coconut oil, then add the spice mix paste.
- Add the star anise, cardamom pods, cinnamon and lemongrass paste.
- Then add the coconut milk, sugar, tamarind paste and the halved shallots or chunky red onions.
- Simmer on medium for 4-6 hours in the slow cooker, then add the soy sauce and kaffir lime leaves.
- Add the chopped coriander, toasted coconut and sliced chillies.
- Season to taste and serve with rice.
CHEF’S TIP Try swapping out the beef for diced chicken or pork.