Southern Fried Chicken
- Dry Ingredients
- 4 tbsp. Piri Piri spice mix
- 300g Plain flour
- 1 tsp. Baking powder
- 2 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Pepper
- Wet Ingredients
- 250ml Whole milk
- 250g Natural yoghurt
- Chicken Pieces
- 4 Chicken thighs, bone in skin removed
- 4 Chicken legs, bone in skin removed
- 4 Chicken mini fillets, skin removed
- To Fry
- 3 litres Vegetable oil
Southern Fried Chicken is a classic South American dish, try our quick and easy recipe for a tasty treat this summer!
Place the dry ingredients into a large bowl and mix well.
- Whisk the milk and yoghurt in a large bowl.
- Coat each chicken piece in the flour mix.
- Dip each chicken piece into the milk mixture then toss again in the flour mixture to coat.
- Pre-heat the oven to 150°C (fan)/325°F/gas mark 3.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large heavy based pan to approximately 180°C. Fry the coated chicken pieces in batches for 7-8 minutes or until crisp, golden and cooked through. Drain on kitchen paper before placing in the pre-heated oven to keep warm.
Make a quick Piri Piri dip to serve with your Southern chicken by mixing together 1 teaspoon Piri Piri spice mix, 4 tablespoons of yoghurt and 1 teaspoon of lemon juice. Swap the chicken pieces in this recipe for 8 chicken mini fillets and use to make crispy chicken burgers or add to a Caesar salad.