Black Pepper Strawberry Shortbread Sandwich
- 100g butter
- 100g flour
- 55g icing sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4tsp black pepper
- 200ml double cream
- 25g caster sugar
- Juice and zest of 1/2 lemon
- 150g strawberries, hulled and chopped
- 1tbsp strawberry sauce
You can top your sandwiches with our strawberry meringue ice cream, find the recipe here, or any ice cream of your choice.
- Blend the flour, butter, icing sugar, pepper and egg yolk in a food processor until it forms a dough, adding a tablespoon of water if needed.
- Roll out between two sheets of baking paper to the thickness of a pound coin. Place in a fridge to firm for 30 minutes.
- Use a large ring cutter to cut into 8 rounds, re-rolling any excess trim if required. Space evenly on a non-stick baking sheet and bake at 180°C / 350°F / gas mark 4 for 8-10 minutes until just starting to colour. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the tray.
- For the filling, stir the strawberries together with the strawberry sauce.
- In a separate bowl whisk the cream and sugar together until forming soft peaks, then whisk in the lemon zest and juice.
- To assemble, place a shortbread in the center of each plate, add a dollop of the whipped cream and some of the strawberries, carefully place another shortbread on top and finish with a scoop of strawberry meringue ice cream.