Booths Marzipan Maids-of-Honour
- A little butter for greasing
- For the Pastry
- 225g plain flour
- 25g caster sugar
- 100g butter
- Flour for dusting
- For the Fillin
- 50g butter, softened
- 50g caster sugar
- 50g ground almonds
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2tsp almond extract
- 75g raspberry jam
- For the Topping
- 75g Greens Classic Crumble Mix
- 25g marzipan, grated
Our version of a classic Maid-of-Honour bake, with a twist – marzipan sprinkles and a crumble topping. Feel free to use any jam of your choice.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (fan)/400°F/gas mark 6.
- Lightly grease a 12-hole bun tin with a little butter.
To make the pastry
- Place the flour and sugar into a mixing bowl. Add the butter and rub in using your fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add 6-8 teaspoons of cold water to bring the mix together to form a dough. Wrap in cling film and chill in the fridge whilst you make the filling.
To make the filling
- Cream together the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl. Add the ground almonds, egg and almond extract and beat to combine.
- Lightly dust a work surface with a little flour, roll the chilled pastry to approximately ½ cm thick. Using an 8cm cutter, cut 12 discs, re-rolling the pastry if needed.
- Line each bun tin hole with a pastry disc.
- Divide the jam into the base of each pastry disc and top with a spoon of prepared filling.
To make the topping
- Combine the crumble mix and grated marzipan in a small bowl. Scatter evenly over each Maid of Honour and bake in a pre-heated oven for 20-25 minutes.
Allow to cool before serving.