- 1 onion
- 25g butter
- 2 rump burgers
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 slices of thick bread
- Butter (for the bread)
- 1 tbsp American style mustard
- 2 slices Cheddar cheese
- 2 slices Swiss cheese
- Thinly slice your onion and sweat in the 25g butter, cook gently until caramelised.
- Brush your burgers with oil and season. Chargrill each side for 3 minutes until fully cooked through. Keep warm.
- To build your toastie, butter the bread (the butter side goes on the outside). On two slices of the bread, spread mustard, add a slice of Cheddar, the burger, onion, a slice of Swiss cheese, more mustard and top with the two other slices of bread.
- In a hot pan, grill the toastie until the bread turns golden and the cheese melts. Cut in half and serve immediately.
- Best served with slaw, fries, sour cream and chive dip and a smoky BBQ sauce.
For a boozy BBQ sauce, add a splash of whisky or rum to a smoky BBQ sauce.