Chinese Crispy Ginger Sea Bass
- For the fish
- 1 thumb sized piece of ginger, grated
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1/4 tsp five-spice powder
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 whole sea bass, scaled and cleaner, or 2 fillets
- 20g cornflour
- 150ml veg oil to fry
- To garnish
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 bunch spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1 red chilli, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 small handful coriander, chopped
- To serve
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- For the fish, mix together the ginger, garlic, black pepper, five-spice and 1 tbsp of veg oil.
- Slice the whole fish each side with 4/5 cuts and rub the marinade into the fish, making sure you get it into the slices you’ve made.
- Coat the fish in the cornflour on a plate and rest for 5 minutes.
- Heat up the veg oil in a deep sided frying pan and carefully place the
fish in to fry.
- Turn the fish after 3 minutes and continue to cook until crisp and fully cooked through or to the bone.
- Remove the fish from the oil and drain on kitchen paper.
- Place onto a hot plate and add the garnish ingredients.
- Serve with lime wedges.
CHEF’S TIP This recipe works great with king prawns, mackerel or sea bream.