Coconut and Lime Tennis Ball Cupcakes
- For the cupcakes
- 175g margarine
- 175g caster sugar
- 175g self raising flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 lime, zest only
- For the buttercream
- 100g salted butter, softened
- 200g icing sugar
- 1 lime, juice only
- To decorate
- 100g desiccated coconut
- Yellow food colouring
- 100g lime curd
- 50g white chocolate, melted
Fun to make and absolutely delicious, our coconut and lime tennis ball cupcakes are perfect for a little summer baking fun!
To make the cupcakes
- Pre-heat the oven to 160°C(fan)/350°F/gas mark 4.
- Line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper muffin cases.
- Place the margarine, sugar, flour, eggs and lime zest into a mixing bowl. Beat to combine using an electric mixer.
- Divide the mix evenly between the muffin cases.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 25-30 minutes.
- To check the cupcakes are cooked, insert a skewer into the centre, it should come out clean when cooked.
- Remove and allow to cool for 10 minutes before placing on a cooling rack to cool completely.
To make the buttercream
- Place the softened butter into a large mixing bowl, sift the icing sugar into the bowl. Add the lime juice and beat to form a smooth icing.
- Place the desiccated coconut into a bowl. Add the yellow food colouring and mix to create bright yellow coconut.
- Using a serrated knife remove a small core of sponge from each cupcake. Fill each cupcake with a spoon of lime curd and top with the sponge core.
- Spread the top of each cupcake with buttercream. Dip the top of each cupcake into the yellow coconut to cover.
- Place the melted white chocolate into a piping bag. Pipe tennis ball seams on top of each cake to turn your cupcakes into tennis balls!
- Place on a cake stand to serve.
These are great to make with kids. Why not colour half of the coconut green and top with a cup strawberry for a Wimbledon themed garden party?