Hearty Pea and Ham Soup
- 200g dried split peas
- 1kg unsmoked gammon joint
- 1.5ltrs water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 leek, chopped
- 300g frozen peas
A hearty winter warmer of a pea and ham soup that will satisfy the whole family.
- Place the dried split peas into a large saucepan with 1.5ltrs of water and bring to the boil. Add the gammon, cover and cook for 40 minutes over a medium heat.
- Add the onion and leek and bring to the boil again. Cover and cook for a further 40 minutes.
- Remove the gammon from the soup. When cool enough to handle, discard excess fat and shred the meat.
- Add the frozen peas to the pan and heat through for a few minutes. Ladle half of the soup into a blender or food processor and process until smooth.
- Return the blended soup to the pan, add the shredded gammon and warm through. Serve with freshly ground black pepper and a dash of olive oil.
If you prefer a thicker soup, you can add two large, uncooked diced potatoes at step 2. Garnish with a sprinkle of finely chopped mint before serving to add freshness.