- 500g plums (approx 8), stoned and halved
- 1 vanilla pod, split lengthways
- 2tbsp maple syrup
- 100g caster sugar
- 1/2 lemon, juice only
- Soda water
- Lime wedges
Fresh plum cordial, ideal for use in cocktails or as an alcohol free summer cooler.
- Place the plums, vanilla pod, maple syrup and 225ml water into a saucepan. Bring to the boil, reduce to a simmer and cover. Simmer for 20 minutes or until plums are soft and pulpy.
- Place a large sieve over a mixing bowl. Push the cooked plums through the sieve using the back of a spoon to extract the juice.
- Pour the extracted juice into a small saucepan and add the sugar and lemon juice. Bring to the boil, reduce to a simmer and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Carefully sterilise the bottle with boiling water, then pour in the cordial. Will keep in the fridge for 1 month.
- To serve, top the cordial with soda water, a sprig of mint and fresh lime wedges.
For summers evenings turn this into your favourite cocktail, top with prosecco, mint and lime. Keep the plum pulp in the fridge in a tupperware box and serve with yoghurt as a fruity breakfast, use within 2 days.