Polish Cheese & Potato Pierogi
- For the dough
- 375g plain flour
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- 1 tsp salt
- 200ml warm milk
- For the filling
- 20g butter
- 1 diced onion
- 3 Maris Piper potatoes
- 250g ricotta
- 50g mature Chaeddar, grated
- 1 tsp garlic granules
- 1 tsp onion granules
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 25g butter to fry
- Pre-heat oven to 200°C / 180°C (fan) / gas mark 6.
- Prick the potatoes with a fork, place onto a baking tray and cook in the oven for 45 minutes.
- For the dough, place the flour and salt into a mixing bowl and then add the beaten egg and milk until the dough starts to form.
- Knead for 5 minutes and then cover with cling film and rest for 30 minutes in the fridge.
- While the potatoes are cooking and the dough is resting, melt 20g of butter in a pan and sweat the diced onions until soft and place into a bowl.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven, split in half and scoop out the middle and add to the onion. Discard the skins.
- Add the ricotta, grated Cheddar, garlic granules and onion granules. Mix well and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Roll out the dough until thin like pasta and using a small cup, cut out 16 discs of dough and place a spoonful of potato mix in the middle of each disc.
- Fold the pastry to form small crescent shaped dumplings and crimp the edges.
- Place in the fridge for 10 minutes while you bring some water to the boil in a pan.
- Once the water is boiling add 8 dumplings at a time and cook for 1 minute or until they float. Remove from the pan and rest them on kitchen paper to dry.
- Melt a little butter in a frying pan and gently fry the dumplings until golden.
- Serve in a warm bowl, with crispy onions, dill and a dollop of sour cream.