Rafi’s South Indian Tomato Rice
- 300g Basmati rice
- 1tsp Chana dhal (lentils)
- 1tsp Coriander seeds
- 1 Dry red chilli, broken into pieces
- 2tbsp Vegetable oil
- 6-8 Curry leaves, finely sliced
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/4 Asafoetida
- 1 Onion, diced
- 4 Tomatoes, diced
- Salt, to taste
This spiced, flavourful rice is the perfect accompaniment to a fish dish, or can be served on its own for a light lunch with some yoghurt or raita.
- Cook the rice as per your favourite method, we recommend checking out our top tips for cooking rice.
- In a dry pan, toast the coriander seeds, chana dhal and dry red chilli for 1-2minutes until golden. Remove from the pan and leave to cool. Once cool, grind to a fine powder using either a pestle and mortar or a coffee grinder.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the curry leaves, mustard seeds and asafoetida for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the onion and fry for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and fry for 10 minutes until they are soft and most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Stir in the ground ingredients and take off the heat.
- Mix in all of the cooked rice and season with salt to taste.
Top tip: This dish has a bit of heat from the dry chilli which can be omitted. For an earthy flavour, try adding 1 tsp of urid dhal (lentils) to the mix to be ground.
Serves 4 – 6 | Vegan | Gluten Free