Red Velvet Layer Cake
- For the cake
- 250g margarine
- 300g caster sugar
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 3 Booths eggs
- 200ml milk
- 325g Booths self-raising flour
- 50g cocoa powder
- 45g red food colouring
- For the cream cheese frosting
- 200g cream cheese
- 100g butter, softened
- 400g icing sugar
- 1 lemon, zest only
- To decorate
- 400g raspberries
- 2tbsp chopped pistachio nuts
A classic celebration cake that’s very impressive yet easy to make – we’d love to see your take on it as the image above ^ ! Join in with our #GBBO 2017 social media competition and it could be you – click here for details.
- Pre-heat the oven to 160°C (fan)/350°F/gas mark 4.
- Grease and line with baking paper three 18cm round loose bottomed cake tins.
- Cream together the margarine, caster sugar and vanilla extract.
- Beat together the eggs and milk in a measuring jug. Slowly add to the creamed mix, beating after each addition to avoid the mixture curdling.
- Sift the flour and cocoa powder into a bowl. Fold the flour and cocoa mix into the creamed mix.
- Add the red food colouring and mix well.
- Divide the mix evenly between the prepared tins, you can weigh the mix or do this by eye. Bake in a pre-heated oven for 25-30 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the centre of the cake.
- Once cooked, remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before removing the cakes from the tins and placing on a cooling rack to cool completely.
To make the frosting
- Place the cream cheese and butter into a bowl. Beat until smooth. Add the icing sugar and lemon zest, beat well to form a smooth icing.
- Place one cake layer onto a cake stand. Spread with 1/3 of the frosting. Arrange half of the raspberries around the edge and centre of the cake. Top with the next layer of cake and spread with a second 1/3 of frosting. Reserve a handful of raspberries to decorate the top before arranging the remaining raspberries around the edge and centre of the cake.
- Top with the final cake layer and spread with the remaining frosting.
- Decorate the top of the cake with the reserved raspberries and chopped pistachio nuts.