Spinach and Feta Filo Roll
- Drizzle olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/4tsp chilli flakes
- 450g spinach
- Salt & pepper
- 4 sheets filo pastry
- 50g butter, melted
- 200g feta cheese
- 1/2tbsp caraway seeds
- 1/2tbsp poppy seeds
This classic combination of spinach and feta in a filo roll is perfect for a main course or a summer picnic if made in advance.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (fan)/400°F/gas mark 6.
- Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large pan over a medium heat. Add the garlic and cook for one minute.
- Add the chilli flakes and cook for a further minute.
- Add the spinach and cook over a low heat with the lid on to wilt for approximately 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and season with salt and pepper to taste. Pat dry using a sheet of kitchen roll and set to one side.
- Lay a sheet of filo pastry on a work surface. Brush the sheet with melted butter and lay a second sheet of filo on top. Repeat to use all of the filo sheets. Trim the filo sheets to make a rectangle approximately 40cmx25cm
- Arrange the spinach in the middle along the length of the filo sheets. Crumble the feta over the spinach. Brush the edges of the filo with butter and roll to enclose ensuring the seam is underneath. Place on the lined baking tray.
- Brush the roll with melted butter and scatter over the caraway and poppy seeds.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown and crisp.
This is a great vegetarian alternative to a summer roast. It’s delicious eaten cold so perfect for picnic season. To give this dish a seasonal twist, use half spinach and half kale in the winter months.