Three Course Vegetarian Meal For Two
- For The Tartlets
- 175g shop bought puff pastry
- 50g butter
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 100ml vegetable stock
- 50ml double cream
- 1 egg, beaten
- 200g mixed wild mushrooms
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 25g Italian style vegetarian hard cheese
- Salt & pepper
- For the Baked Tofu
- 40ml rice wine vinegar
- 40ml soy sauce
- 2tbsp ample syrup
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2tbsp seasame oil
- 2tbsp chilli jam
- 500g tofu, drained
- 2 nests noodles
- 100g blanched kale, shredded
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 40g salted peanuts, chopped
- For the 'Tiramisu' Pudding
- 125ml double cream
- 75g mascarpone
- 20g icing sugar
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 1tbsp espresso coffee
- 50g dark chocolate, melted
- 8 shop bought sponge fingers
An easy three course vegetarian menu for two.
Starter – Wild Mushroom Tartlets with Onion Sauce
- Roll the pastry out on a floured surface and cut out 2 circles to make your tart bases, about 15cm wide. Leave to chill on a lined baking tray in the fridge for 30 minutes before cooking.
- Heat the oven 180°c / 350°f / gas mark 4.
- Over a low heat, melt half the butter in a non-stick pan and add the sliced onions. Turn down the heat and allow the onions to slowly soften.
- Once the onions are softened, add the stock to the pan and increase the heat, cook until the stock has almost disappeared, reduce the heat, add the cream and allow to reduce and thicken a little. Remove from the heat, season to taste and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Score a 1cm border around the edge of each tart base. Brush the edge with beaten egg, and then bake the tart bases for 20 minutes or so, until puffed up and golden. Remove the centre once cooked.
- Whilst the pastry is cooking, heat a large frying pan until hot, then add the remaining butter and fry the mushrooms and garlic for 5 minutes in the pan. Season, then take off the heat and mix the mushrooms with some of the Italian style vegetarian hard cheese.
- To serve, warm the sauce and add to the base of the cooked pastry cases, spoon the mixed mushrooms on top and add more Italian style vegetarian hard cheese. Serve with a green salad.
Rest the pastry to rest in the fridge for as long as possible before cooking.
Main – Baked Chilli Tofu, Kale and Sesame Noodles
- To make the sesame dressing, place the vinegar, soy, maple syrup, chilli and sesame oil in a medium bowl and mix.
- Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F). Paint the chilli jam onto the slices of tofu and place onto a greaseproof paper lined baking tray, and bake for 20 minutes.
- Cook the noodles in a large saucepan of boiling salted water for 3–4 minutes or until al dente. Drain and refresh under cold running water. Place the noodles, kale, spring onions in a large bowl, pour over a little of the sesame dressing and toss to combine.
- Divide between small serving plates and top with the chilli tofu, the remaining dressing and peanuts to serve.
Drain the tofu and dry well with paper towels before cooking.
Dessert – Chocolate Swirl ‘Tiramisu’ Pudding
- Place the cream, mascarpone, sugar and vanilla in a large bowl and whisk until soft peaks form. Set aside.
- Place the melted chocolate and coffee in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Swirl the chocolate mixture through the cream mixture.
- Divide the mixture between 2 glasses and serve with the sponge biscuits.
Try adding coffee liqueur to the chocolate for a really grown up dessert.
You can view our non-vegetarian three course meal idea by clicking here.