West African Jollof
- 1 medium-sized red onion, sliced
- 2 red peppers, diced
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 2 red chillies, sliced
- 2 vine tomatoes, diced
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 100g long grain rice or basmati rice
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 300ml veg stock
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 bunch of coriander, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fry the red onion, red peppers, sweet potato, chilli and
tomatoes in the coconut oil.
- Add the rice and mix well to coat in the juices.
- Add the thyme, curry powder and bay leaf and then the stock and cook the rice until tender for approximately 15 minutes.
- Finish with chopped coriander and season to taste with salt and pepper.
CHEF’S TIP This West African rice dish will serve 4 as a side or 2 as a main. It is so versatile and works well with all proteins, chicken, lamb, beef, pork, fish or prawns. Or keep it vegetarian and serve with halloumi or roasted Portobello mushrooms.