Winter Vegetable Minestrone
- 1 tsbp olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 large leek, finely chopped
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1cm cubes
- 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into 1cm cubes
- 1 sprig of fresh rosemary, leaves finely chopped
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 750ml vegetable stock
- 100g small pasta shapes
- 75g savoy cabbage, finely shredded
- 400g can borlotti or cannellini beans
- To serve 2 tsp green pesto, 3 tbsp Parmesan cheese finely grated & toasted sourdough bread
Preparation time 25 minutes
Cooking time 50 minutes
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the onion and cook for 5 minutes until beginning to soften. Stir in the garlic and cook for a further minute.
2. Stir in the leek, potatoes, carrot and rosemary and cook for 10 minutes.
3. Tip in the chopped tomatoes and cook for 10 minutes, stirring from time to time, then pour in the vegetable stock and bring to a simmer. Cook for a further 15 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, bring a small saucepan of water to the boil and cook the pasta for 4 minutes, until al dente. Drain well.
5. Stir the cabbage into the soup and cook for 5 minutes, then stir in the pasta and beans and heat through for just a few minutes.
6. Ladle the soup into bowls.
7. Serve with a little of the fresh