Sticky Autumn Spice Loaf
- 200g plain flour
- 125ml whole milk
- 85g treacle
- 85g golden syrup
- 85g dark muscavado sugar
- 85g unsalted butter
- 60g stem ginger, chopped
- 1 large egg
- 2tbsp autumn spice mix
- 1tsp bicarbonate soda
- Pinch salt
- 3tbsp syrup from the jar of stem ginger
This delicious sticky loaf cake is perfect made with our Autumn Spice Mix, tap here for the blend.
- Preheat the oven to 160C/140C (fan)/gas mark 3. Grease and line a 1lb loaf tin in preparation.
- Sift together the flour, spice mix (if you don’t want to make a big batch of autumn spice blend, simply use 2tsp ground cinnamon, 1tsp ground ginger, 1/2tsp ground clove and 1/4tsp ground nutmeg) and salt. Add the chopped stem ginger.
- Pour the milk into a jug and stir in the bicarbonate of soda.
- Combine the treacle, golden syrup, sugar and butter in a saucepan, gently heating until the sugar and butter have melted.
- Add the treacle mixture and milk to the dry ingredients. Add the egg and stir until well combined. Transfer the batter to the loaf tin and bake in the oven for 45 minutes.
- Brush the stem ginger syrup over the top of the cake and leave to cool on a wire rack. Enjoy with a hot cup of tea.
Chefs tip: Try layering slices of cake with lemon custard for a delicious autumn trifle.